Alliance Hall, Te Puke (c1910)

Original Filename: Alliance_Hall.png (view)

Original Size: 130.9 KB

Original Image Type: image/png

Alliance Hall, Te Puke (c1910) .

Caption

In August 1916 it was announced that Thomas Ernest Palmer, local builder was to build a hall for James Geraghty and Richard Henry Williams who were in partnership as flaxmillers in the district. Just before the hall opened in April 1917 a competition was held to name it and 108 entries were received. The building was described as consisting of  three shops fronting the main street, with a 60 foot x 34 foot hall behind. This had a 34 foot x 14 foot stage, two dressing rooms and a 34 foot x 20 foot supper room. The upper portion consisted of  five rooms, a seven foot balcony and a gallery 34 foot x 17 foot. The front part of  the building was sheathed with asbestos and the hall and back rooms were covered with corrugated iron. A four foot staircase lead to upstairs and provision was made for lavatory, basins etc. The shops had plate glass windows and a 16 foot verandah. The whole building was 145 foot long x 34 foot wide. Photo: Research Collections, Tauranga City Library.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Alliance Hall, Te Puke (c1910)


First Names:James
Last Name:Geraghty
Date of Birth:1872
Place of Birth:New Zealand
City:Te Puke, New Zealand
Year:c.1910
Location where this photo was taken:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.7861649,176.3254445

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps

Other Resources

Results via DigitalNZ

Powered by