Topic: European Timeline of Local Events

Topic type:

European Timeline of Tauranga and Western Bay of Plenty

Page looking wrong? Archived version here.

 

1769     Captain James Cook sails across the Bay of Plenty in the Endeavour
1820     Rev.Samuel Marsden sees the Tauranga Harbour from the top of Mount Hikurangi near Waihi 
1834     Site for Mission Station at Te Papa (Tauranga) chosen by A.N.Brown and William Williams
1835     Mission Station at Te Papa opened by William Wade 
             Several flax traders operating in the area: Tapsell, Dillon, Farrow   
1836     Continued fighting amongst Maori tribes. Mission Station evacuated.
1837     Rev J.A.Wilson to Te Papa Mission Station
1838     Rev A.N.Brown and family arrive at Te Papa Mission Station
             Purchase of first block of land by Brown for CMS
1839     Second land purchase (3000 acres)
1840     John Lees Faulkner, trader, settles at Otumoetai
             Treaty signed at Maungatapu Pa by Nuka, but Tupaea (Otumoetai) refuses to sign 
             Roman Catholic Mission established at Otumoetai
1841     Ernst Dieffenbach visits Te Papa
1842     Trouble over a stolen boat. Troops on Mount Drury (Hopukiore) for 4 months
1845     Death of Marsh Brown, son of Rev. A.N.Brown 
             Peace treaty between Te Arawa and Ngāiterangi. Peace stones set up at Maketu and Otumoetai
1852     HMS Pandora’s survey of Tauranga Harbour
1855     Death of Charlotte Brown, wife of A.N.Brown, in Auckland.
1857     First steamship enters Tauranga harbour. Name unknown.
1859     Visit of Dr Ferdinand von Hochstetter, geologist  Celia Brown marries Rev John Kinder
1860     Henry Tacy Clarke appointed Resident Magistrate at Tauranga 
             Archdeacon Brown marries Christina Johnston
1864     Military occupation of Tauranga
             Battle of Gate Pa
             Battle of Te Ranga
             Gov. George Grey takes part in formal peacemaking with Maori 
             Land west of Waimapu River confiscated
1865     Rev C. Volkner murdered at Opotiki
1866     Military settlers taking up farm and town lots
1867     Tauranga District Lands Act legalises the confiscation
1868     School opened in Durham Redoubt
1869     Fear of attack by Te Kooti’s followers 
             Opepe massacre – 9 Tauranga men killed
1870     Tauranga Highways District and Tauranga North Highways District Boards established 
             Telegraphic communication with Wellington established
1871     Town Wharf built 
             Mechanics Institute (library, reading room and museum) set up 
1872     Bay of Plenty Times established
             Anthony Trollope passes through Tauranga en route to the Hot Lakes
            Public School opened
1873     Rev A.N.Brown buys 17 acres from CMS, which he names The Elms 
             Springwell Brewery opened
             Branch of Bank of New Zealand opened
             Canon Charles Jordan (Holy Trinity) arrives in Tauranga
1874     Foundation stone of wooden government building laid 
             First Wairoa Bridge opens
1875     George Vesey Stewart’s Special Settlers arrive on the Carisbrooke Castle for Katikati
1876     Greerton School opens
1878     Victoria Wharf at foot of Harington Street completed
             Work on Sulphur Works begins
             Lady Jocelyn arrives with second party of Special Settlers
            Population  of Tauranga 793
1880    Fire Brigade established under Asher Asher
1881     Lady Jocelyn arrives with Te Puke settlers
1882     Tauranga gazetted a Borough 
             George Vesey Stewart elected first Mayor
             Population of Tauranga 1258
            Hairini Bridge completed
1884     Tauranga cheese and bacon factory opened 
             Death of Archdeacon A.N. Brown
1885     Deer released by Acclimatisation Society
1886     Tarawera eruption
             Second Tauranga primary school opened
1888     First land sale at Mount Maunganui
1889     Land sale at Te Puna
1891     Population of Tauranga 1055
1892     Phonograph heard for the first time in Tauranga
1895     Otumoetai school opens
1896     Te Puna school opens
1897     A.H.Whitehouse, first person to make moving pictures in New Zealand, gives
             Kinematograph show in Tauranga
1900     First municipal lamppost erected
1901     Population 945
1902     Government Buildings destroyed by fire
             Foundation stone for Edward VII Esplanade laid 
             New concrete retaining wall built along Strand
1903     First motor car seen in Tauranga
1905     Opening of school at Oropi
1906     New Government Building completed
             Experimental Farm established on eastern side of Cameron Road
1907     Tauranga District High School formed
1908     Telephone system installed with 21 subscribers
             Survey of Tauranga-Waihi-Te Puke railway reaches Tauranga
1909     Gasworks built
             Faulkner’s regular ferry service to Mount begins
1910     First sod of railway line between Mount Maunganui and Te Puke turned
1911     First vehicles licensed
             First septic tank completed
             Population 1346
1913     Tauranga Harbour Board formed 
             Train service Mount Maunganui to Te Puke begins
1914     First Tauranga Hospital opened
             First recorded motor car accident in Tauranga 
             Foundation Stone of Town Hall laid
1915     Omanawa Falls Power Station completed, and lights turned on in borough 
             Public sewer installed
1917     School at Ohauiti
1918     School at Tauriko
             Electric light turned on in Otumoetai
1919     First bus service
1920     First swordfish caught in Mayor Island waters 
             First plane to visit Tauranga - seaplane carrying Bishop Cleary 
             X-ray outfit for hospital
1921     Population 2,241
1922     Filming of My Lady of the Cave on Mayor Island 
             Avro bi-plane lands on Waikareao estuary
1923     First planting of trees on Matakana Island
1924     Foundation stone of new hospital laid 
             Driving of the last rivet on the Matapihi railway bridge 
             First train over the bridge 
             Opening of Strand station
1925     McLarens Falls Power station commissioned 
             Further plantings of pinus radiata on Matakana Island
1928     Railway connection to Auckland completed
1931     School at Pahoia
1932     Aero and Gliding Club formed
             Licensed grazing of cows on borough streets ends
1933     Visit by aviator Kingsford-Smith
1935     Site for airport negotiated at Whareroa
1936     Cobalt applied as top-dressing cures bush sickness
1937     Ladies Rest Room constructed on Spring Street
1938     Post Office opened on the corner of Grey and Spring Streets
1939     Airport officially opened 
             Airport taken over by the airforce
1939/40 Kaimai road widened
1941     Population of Tauranga 3,910
1942     Gas company goes into liquidation
1945     School opens at Pyes Pa 
             Co-educational college opens at Hillsdene
1946     Gate Pa added to the borough
1947     Commercial air services re-started 
             Polio epidemic
1949     Chlorination plant completed
             Otumoetai East and Judea added to the borough
1950     Committee of enquiry decides to build deep water port at Mount Maunganui
             Wreck of Ranui: 22 people drown, 1 survivor
1951     School at Tauranga South
             Population of Tauranga is 7,823
1953     Construction of Mount Wharf begins
1955     Yatton Park transferred to Tauranga County Council
1957     Merivale school opened
             Pillans Point school opened
             First shipment of logs to Japan
1958     Hillsdene becomes Tauranga Boys’ College  
             Tauranga Girls’ College established on separate site
1959     Maungatapu and part of Hairini added to the borough
             Opening of Maungatapu bridge
             Opening of road bridge over Waikareao to Otumoetai
1961     First large scale street numbering undertaken
             Otumoetai West added to borough
             Population 14,150
1962     Inaugural meeting of The Elms Trust to help preserve Mission House
1963     Fluoride added to water supply
             Greerton added to the borough.
             Tauranga becomes a city
             First  parking meters
1964     New hospital block opens
1965     Otumoetai College opens 
             Matua school opened
             Work begins on Kaimai tunnel
1966     Marineland opens at Mount Maunganui
1967     First Friendship plane lands on newly sealed runway at airport
1970     Sulphur Point reclamation begins
             Cave-in in Kaimai Tunnel. 7 men killed 
             Tauranga Harbour Board becomes Bay of Plenty Harbour Board 
             Development of Judea industrial area begins
             Tauranga Historical Society Museum Opened (August 22)
1971     Bellevue school opens
             R.A.Owens elected mayor of both Tauranga City and Mount Maunganui Borough
             Willow Park opens (later Quality Hotel, then Hotel Armitage)
             Population 26,800
1972     Vehicle testing station opens
1973     Te Awanui waka launched
             Spring Street Mall created
1974     First escalator in the Bay of Plenty installed in Trust bank building
             Transmission of colour television from Mount Te Aroha
             Traffic lights erected at Elizabeth Street – Cameron Road intersection
1976     Unveiling of statue of Tangaroa on Stoney Point
1978     First train through Kaimai Tunnel
1981     Work on marina at Sulphur Point begins
             Collapse of Ruahihi canal
             Population of Tauranga 36,951
1983     Opening of Baycourt
1985     Opening of Bayfair shopping centre
1986     Fluoride removed from water supply
1987     Tauranga Town Hall demolished
1988     Tauranga Harbour Bridge completed
             Bethlehem College opens
1989     Tauranga and Mount Maunganui Councils amalgamate. 
             Name of Tauranga City changed to Tauranga District Council. 
             Tauranga County Council becomes the Western Bay of Plenty District Council
             Bay of Plenty Harbour Board becomes Port of Tauranga Ltd
             New Tauranga central library opens
1990     Keith Clarke elected mayor of Tauranga District Council
1991     Population 67,333
1992     New wharves opened at Sulphur Point
             Opening of Waikareao Expressway
1993     Masonic Hotel (built 1865) demolished
1995     Mainstreet programmes cause major redevelopment of downtown areas at Tauranga and Mount Maunganui
             Tauranga parking building opens on Durham Street 
             Oceanside Hotel at Mount Maunganui demolished for high-rise apartments
             Baypark Speedway closes
1996     Up to 30 new housing subdivisions underway 
             Planning to upgrade the airport to cater for international flights 
             Population of Tauranga 77,775
             Cinema 6 opens
             Bridge Marina opens
             Tahatai school opens 
             “Project Phoenix” rejuvenates Mount Maunganui main streets 
             Edgewater Fan development completed in Tauranga 
             Papamoa shopping centre opens 
             Selwyn Ridge School opens 
             Opening of upgraded water treatment plant in Joyce Road 
             The Elms Mission property sold to The Elms Foundation
             Cambridge Road tip closes
             Maleme Street re-cycling station opens
             Waikareao expressway re-named Takitimu Drive 
             High rise residential towers open at Mount Maunganui
             Waitangi Tribunal hearings begin for Tauranga Moana
             Bayfair upgrade
             Airport upgrade
1999     Holy Trinity Church burns down 
             Old Post Office building, Willow Street, refurbished
2000     Tug Taioma moved from 17th Avenue and sunk near Motiti as dive reef
             Te Akau ki Papamoa school opens
2001     First Woman Mayor elected – Jan Beange
            Tolls come off harbour bridge
2002     Fraser Cove shopping centre opens
             Opening of new Baypark Speedway
2003     Aquinas College opens
             Route K (toll road) opens
2004     Population of Tauranga reaches 100,000 
             Tauranga District renamed Tauranga City
             Artificial surf reef approved 
             The Strand waterfront redevelopment wins Creative NZ Award
             Papamoa Hills Regional Park opens
             Devonport Towers high rise building opens
2005     Heavy rainfall causes major slips and flooding in city in May
             Baywave aquatic centre opens
2006     Opening of new library at Papamoa
2007     Art Gallery due to open
2011 Cargo ship Rena runs aground on Astrolab reef
2014 150th year Commemorations of the Battle of Gate Pa and Te Ranga held
2014 Approval given to build new library at Greerton 
   

 ----

This page archived at Perma CC in September of 2016: https://perma.cc/LQV6-DLQR

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Tags: Captain James Cook sails across the Bay of Plenty in the Endeavour, Art Gallery due to open, Opening of new library at Papamoa, Mission Station at Te Papa opened by William Wade, Several flax traders operating in the area: Tapsell, Dillon, Farrow, Continued fighting amongst Maori tribes. Mission Station evacuated., Rev J.A.Wilson to Te Papa Mission Station, Rev A.N.Brown and family arrive at Te Papa Mission Station, Purchase of first block of land by Brown for CMS, Second land purchase (3000 acres), John Lees Faulkner, trader, settles at Otumoetai, Treaty signed at Maungatapu Pa by Nuka, but Tupaea (Otumoetai) refuses to sign, Roman Catholic Mission established at Otumoetai, Ernst Dieffenbach visits Te Papa, Trouble over a stolen boat. Troops on Mount Drury (Hopukiore) for 4 months, Death of Marsh Brown, son of Rev. A.N.Brown, Peace treaty between Te Arawa and Ngāiterangi. Peace stones set up at Maketu and tai, HMS Pandora’s survey of Tauranga Harbour, Death of Charlotte Brown, wife of A.N.Brown, in Auckland., First steamship enters Tauranga harbour. Name unknown., Visit of Dr Ferdinand von Hochstetter, geologist Celia Brown marries Rev John Kinder, Henry Tacy Clarke appointed Resident Magistrate at Tauranga, Archdeacon Brown marries Christina Johnston, Military occupation of Tauranga, Battle of Gate Pa, Battle of Te Ranga, Gov. George Grey takes part in formal peacemaking with Maori, Land west of Waimapu River confiscated, Rev C. Volkner murdered at Opotiki, Military settlers taking up farm and town lots, Tauranga District Lands Act legalises the confiscation, School opened in Durham Redoubt, Fear of attack by Te Kooti’s followers, Opepe massacre – 9 Tauranga men killed, Tauranga Highways District and Tauranga North Highways District Boards established, Telegraphic communication with Wellington established, Town Wharf built, Mechanics Institute (library, reading room and museum) set up, Bay of Plenty Times established, Anthony Trollope passes through Tauranga en route to the Hot Lakes, Public School opened, Rev A.N.Brown buys 17 acres from CMS, which he names The Elms, Springwell Brewery opened, Branch of Bank of New Zealand opened, Canon Charles Jordan (Holy Trinity) arrives in Tauranga, Foundation stone of wooden government building laid, First Wairoa Bridge opens, George Vesey Stewart’s Special Settlers arrive on the Carisbrooke Castle for Katikati, Greerton School opens, Victoria Wharf at foot of Harington Street completed, Work on Sulphur Works begins, Lady Jocelyn arrives with second party of Special Settlers, Population of Tauranga 793, Fire Brigade established under Asher Asher, Lady Jocelyn arrives with Te Puke settlers, Tauranga gazetted a Borough, George Vesey Stewart elected first Mayor, Population of Tauranga 1258, Hairini Bridge completed, Tauranga cheese and bacon factory opened, Death of Archdeacon A.N. Brown, Deer released by Acclimatisation Society, Tarawera Eruption, Second Tauranga primary school opened, First land sale at Mount Maunganui, Land sale at Te Puna, Population of Tauranga 1055, Phonograph heard for the first time in Tauranga, Otumoetai school opens, Te Puna school opens, A.H.Whitehouse, first person to make moving pictures in New Zealand, gives, Kinematograph show in Tauranga, First municipal lamppost erected, Population 945, Government Buildings destroyed by fire, Foundation stone for Edward VII Esplanade laid, New concrete retaining wall built along Strand, First motor car seen in Tauranga, Opening of school at Oropi, New Government Building completed, Experimental Farm established on eastern side of Cameron Road, Tauranga District High School formed, Telephone system installed with 21 subscribers, Survey of Tauranga-Waihi-Te Puke railway reaches Tauranga, Gasworks built, Faulkner’s regular ferry service to Mount begins, First sod of railway line between Mount Maunganui and Te Puke turned, First vehicles licensed, First septic tank completed, Population 1346, Tauranga Harbour Board formed, Train service Mount Maunganui to Te Puke begins, First Tauranga Hospital opened, First recorded motor car accident in Tauranga, Foundation Stone of Town Hall laid, Omanawa Falls Power Station completed, and lights turned on in borough, Public sewer installed, School at Ohauiti, School at Tauriko, Electric light turned on in Otumoetai, First bus service, First swordfish caught in Mayor Island waters, First plane to visit Tauranga - seaplane carrying Bishop Cleary, X-ray outfit for hospital, Population 2, 241, Filming of My Lady of the Cave on Mayor Island, Avro bi-plane lands on Waikareao estuary, First planting of trees on Matakana Island, Foundation stone of new hospital laid, Driving of the last rivet on the Matapihi railway bridge, First train over the bridge, Opening of Strand station, McLarens Falls Power station commissioned, Further plantings of pinus radiata on Matakana Island, Railway connection to Auckland completed, School at Pahoia, Aero and Gliding Club formed, Licensed grazing of cows on borough streets ends, Visit by aviator Kingsford-Smith, Site for airport negotiated at Whareroa, Cobalt applied as top-dressing cures bush sickness, Ladies Rest Room constructed on Spring Street, Post Office opened on the corner of Grey and Spring Streets, Airport officially opened, Airport taken over by the airforce, Kaimai road widened, Population of Tauranga 3, 910, Gas company goes into liquidation, School opens at Pyes Pa, Co-educational college opens at Hillsdene, Gate Pa added to the borough, Commercial air services re-started, Polio epidemic, Chlorination plant completed, Otumoetai East and Judea added to the borough, Committee of enquiry decides to build deep water port at Mount Maunganui, Wreck of Ranui: 22 people drown, 1 survivor, School at Tauranga South, Population of Tauranga is 7, 823, Construction of Mount Wharf begins, Yatton Park transferred to Tauranga County Council, Merivale school opened, Pillans Point school opened, First shipment of logs to Japan, Hillsdene becomes Tauranga Boys’ College, Tauranga Girls’ College established on separate site, Maungatapu and part of Hairini added to the borough, Opening of Maungatapu bridge, Opening of road bridge over Waikareao to Otumoetai, First large scale street numbering undertaken, Otumoetai West added to borough, Population 14, 150, Inaugural meeting of The Elms Trust to help preserve Mission House, Fluoride added to water supply, Greerton added to the borough., Tauranga becomes a city, First parking meters, New hospital block opens, Otumoetai College opens, Matua school opened, Work begins on Kaimai tunnel, Marineland opens at Mount Maunganui, First Friendship plane lands on newly sealed runway at airport, Sulphur Point reclamation begins, Cave-in in Kaimai Tunnel. 7 men killed, Tauranga Harbour Board becomes Bay of Plenty Harbour Board, Development of Judea industrial area begins, Bellevue school opens, R.A.Owens elected mayor of both Tauranga City and Mount Maunganui Borough, Willow Park opens (later Quality Hotel, then Hotel Armitage), Population 26, 800, Vehicle testing station opens, Te Awanui waka launched, Spring Street Mall created, First escalator in the Bay of Plenty installed in Trust bank building, Transmission of colour television from Mount Te Aroha, Traffic lights erected at Elizabeth Street – Cameron Road intersection, Unveiling of statue of Tangaroa on Stoney Point, First train through Kaimai Tunnel, Work on marina at Sulphur Point begins, Collapse of Ruahihi canal, Population of Tauranga 36, 951, Opening of Baycourt, Opening of Bayfair shopping centre, Fluoride removed from water supply, Tauranga Town Hall demolished, Tauranga Harbour Bridge completed, Bethlehem College opens, Tauranga and Mount Maunganui Councils amalgamate., Name of Tauranga City changed to Tauranga District Council., Tauranga County Council becomes the Western Bay of Plenty District Council, Bay of Plenty Harbour Board becomes Port of Tauranga Ltd, New Tauranga central library opens, Keith Clarke elected mayor of Tauranga District Council, Population 67, 333, New wharves opened at Sulphur Point, Opening of Waikareao Expressway, Masonic Hotel (built 1865) demolished, Mainstreet programmes cause major redevelopment of downtown areas at Tauranga unt Maunganui, Tauranga parking building opens on Durham Street, Oceanside Hotel at Mount Maunganui demolished for high-rise apartments, Baypark Speedway closes, Up to 30 new housing subdivisions underway, Planning to upgrade the airport to cater for international flights, Population of Tauranga 77, 775, Cinema 6 opens, Bridge Marina opens, Tahatai school opens, “Project Phoenix” rejuvenates Mount Maunganui main streets, Baywave aquatic centre opens, Papamoa shopping centre opens, Selwyn Ridge School opens, Opening of upgraded water treatment plant in Joyce Road, The Elms Mission property sold to The Elms Foundation, Cambridge Road tip closes, Maleme Street re-cycling station opens, Waikareao expressway re-named Takitimu Drive, High rise residential towers open at Mount Maunganui, Waitangi Tribunal hearings begin for Tauranga Moana, Bayfair upgrade, Airport upgrade, Holy Trinity Church burns down, Old Post Office building, Willow Street, refurbished, Tug Taioma moved from 17th Avenue and sunk near Motiti as dive reef, Te Akau ki Papamoa school opens, First Woman Mayor elected – Jan Beange, Tolls come off harbour bridge, Fraser Cove shopping centre opens, Opening of new Baypark Speedway, Aquinas College opens, Route K (toll road) opens, Population of Tauranga reaches 100, 000, Tauranga District renamed Tauranga City, Artificial surf reef approved, The Strand waterfront redevelopment wins Creative NZ Award, Papamoa Hills Regional Park opens, Devonport Towers high rise building opens, Heavy rainfall causes major slips and flooding in city in May, Edgewater Fan development completed in Tauranga, Rev.Samuel Marsden sees the Tauranga Harbour from the top of Mount Hikurangi near Waihi, Site for Mission Station at Te Papa (Tauranga) chosen by A.N.Brown and William Williams