Topic: Cameron Road (est. 1871)

Topic type:

Article looking wrong? See archived version here.

Cameron Road (est. 1871)

Cameron road is today considered the main road that runs the length of Tauranga City. It’s construction is credited in 1871 to Lieutenant-Colonel John Mackintosh Roberts who was posted to Tauranga several times while serving in the Armed Constabulary. As the need for the Armed Constabulary’s protective service receded, they were put to work making roads. In fact Tauranga’s Fourteenth Avenue was originally named Roberts Street (Rorke, J 1994), after John Mackintosh Roberts himself.

Cameron Road, Tauranga. Radcliffe, Frederick George, 1863-1923 : New Zealand post card negatives. Ref: 1/2-006919-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22838769

The name “Cameron Road” comes from General Sir Duncan Alexander Cameron, who featured prominently in the early Colonial history of the region. You can read about his life here.

General Sir Duncan Cameron KCB (britishempire.co.uk)

----

This article archived at Perma CC in September of 2016: https://perma.cc/QP9L-8XC3

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Cameron Road (est. 1871)


Year:1871
Location:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.708722,176.14850590000003

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps

Other Resources

Results via DigitalNZ

Powered by