Topic: Headmaster’s House

Topic type:

An article appearing in the 1998 Tauranga Historic Village Museum Souvenir book.

Looking strange? see an archived version here

This house was built by Mr B Pinker in 1885 on Maori land at Maketu.

It was built on stones to prevent rot. Mr Pinker was a stonemason in London before coming to New Zealand. He had 12 children.

The 8 room house was built from timber extracted from the forest on the Coromandel Peninsula. Starting at the front door, on the right hand side is the parlour. This room was used only on special occasions when there were visitors or after a funeral, etc.

On the mantel piece above the fireplace there stands a clock originally owned by the founder of Katikati and Te Puke.

The carved Welsh dresser was made in 1872 and brought to New Zealand on the “May Queen”.

On the left hand side of the hall way is the master bedroom. The commode was made in 1862 and can be closed up when not in use to become a stool.

The next room on the right is the children’s bedroom, displaying a toy merry-go-round, bed warmers and a child’s wicker push chair.

The room on the left is the study. Items of interest include the riding boots, bootjacks and handle grips which were made in Bostock’s factory, North Hampton, UK, in 1933. Note also the bird showcase which is over 100 years old, and the harmonium.

The next room on the right is the Nanny’s room. In this room the children spent some of their spare time. There are artefacts including children’s gloves made of pure silk in 1609. The child’s nightdress on the bed was made in Newport, England, in 1898.

The room on the left is the played here is a cruet set which was part of the trousseau of a young bride who arrived in New Zealand in 1888. The moustache cups were brought to New Zealand in 1870.

In the dining room the stool beside the piano originally came from the tug boat “Taioma” but was placed here after being restored. It is typical of the kind of furniture used at sea with a swivel seat to move with the roll of the boat.

The last two rooms are the laundry and kitchen. In the kitchen is an old wood range with a “wet back” for providing hot water. The griddle used on the stove lies in front of the oven. On the shelves are old glass top preserving jars and on the floor in front of the rocking chair is an electric foot warmer which is heated by a light bulb.

In the laundry is a hand agitated Banner washing machine, a Sitz hip bath, a pre 1900 wooden mangle, a milk separator and a copper for washing clothes. 

This page was archvied at Perma cc March 2017 https://perma.cc/srg5-rrcv

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion