Topic: Hopukiore (Mount Drury)
Hopukiore (Mount Drury) is rich in history with it's Māori burial caves and terraces providing evidence of historic Māori occupation. In 1842 and 1843 colonial troops (the 80th Regiment) were stationed there. In November 1852 Commander Byron Drury arrived in Tauranga on board the HMS Pandora. He completed a Bay of Plenty coastal survey stared in 1848 by Captain John Lort Stokes in HMS Acheron. Hopukiore was renamed Mount Drury.
Looking strange? see an archived version here
"Mt Drury once stood as an independent island, but the gradual build up of the Mt Maunganui tombolo has absorbed it into the mainland. It was known to the Maori as Hopukiore and was used as a site for a carving school. The caves were once used by early Maori for burials and the terraces on the north-eastern slopes are further evidence of Maori occupation" Geocaching
"Hopukiore (also known as Mount Drury) was an old burial site. It was also a sacred site used for tā moko. The bones of the native rat, or ‘kiore’ were utlised to make the tatooing instruments required, hence the name of the place, Hopu-kiore (‘catch rats’)." Ngāti Pūkenga (Deed of Settlement).
"HopuKiore litērālly means to catch rats. This hill was the site of a Tohunga carving school; the rat’s teeth were used as blades in the carving chisels. According to Clive Ormiston West following information received from local iwi, a small party of Pākehā climbed the hill in the early 1900s and found two burial caves full of skeletons, greenstone drops, grinding stones, hooks, mats and some weapons. These materials, with the probable exception of the skeletons were distributed amongst the parties, which included Captain Haultain of the N.S.S. Co and removed from the site. In Clyde Ormiston West (1938) Memories of Mt Maunganui. Unpublished paper." Mauao (2010) by Ngaroimata Cavill, Maria Ngatai, Brian Dickson and Kihi Ngatai with Lewis Williams
"Being much coveted areas for commercial and strategic military operational purposes, the confiscation of Mauao and its surrounds such as Hopukiore (a small hill which lies just to the east of the Maunga), and the Tauranga Harbour, and their ensuing implications for Ngāi Te Rangi, and other local iwi, illustrate the fairly typical erosion of the latter three - mana whenua, matauranga Māori and hauora during these times. Colonial forces used both Mauao and Hopukiore as bases from which to carry out strategic military operations from around the 1840s onwards. Hopukiore, the site of a wananga whakairo (tohunga carving school) and also burial site for esteemed Tūpuna was used by troops under the command of Ensign Best as a military base from 21st December 1842 – March 1843. Hopukiore was renamed Mt Drury in 1853 after a British lieutenant Byron Drury, whilst Mauao became the site for the harbour pilot’s house overseeing the safe passage of cargo into the Tauranga harbour; all the whilst various customary rights were being eroded." Mauao (2010) by Ngaroimata Cavill, Maria Ngatai, Brian Dickson and Kihi Ngatai with Lewis Williams
See also: Te Manuwhakahoro: "Some time after the Battle of Kokowai, Te Kumikumi of the Waitaha people (near Te Puke) was killed by a party of Ngai Te Rangi. His son’s Ruataumanu and Whiti devised a plan to avenge their father’s death. They learnt the art of kite making and one early morning they flew their kites on the shore near Hopukiore (Mt Drury) to simulate a flock of birds diving on a school of fish. The Ngai Te Rangi living on Mauao saw what they believed were birds and rushed down to the beach with their nets ready to catch fish. The birds fell out of the sky and the exhausted fishermen were attacked by the waiting Waitaha warriors who massacred them on the beach in front of Motuotau (Rabbit Island)."
This page was arcvhied at Perma cc march 2017 https://perma.cc/24n8-3pwq