Topic: Sulphur Point (Te Paritaha o Te Awanui)

Topic type:

 

Looking strange? see an archived version here

  • The local tribes of Tauranga Moana know this place as “Te Pari Taha o Te Awanui”, which was the original name for a sand bar that extended into the Te Awanui harbour.
  • It became Sulphur Point in 1884 when sulphur from White Island was shipped to a small sulphur processing factory. The sulphur works was built by Judge J A Wilson, son of one of the original missionaries, but was not successful. Many Tauranga investors lost money.
  • Today the area forms part of the Port of Tauranga’s operation, the largest in the country in terms of total cargo volume. 
  • The location is ideal for the port, located in a natural harbour protected by Mauao and Matakana Island. It is the only natural harbour between Auckland and Wellington offering good shelter in all weather.

This page was archived at perma cc March 2017 https://perma.cc/wmr5-grwr

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Sulphur Point (Te Paritaha o Te Awanui)


Year:2014
City:Tauranga