Topic: The Strand (Downtown Tauranga)
Looking strange? see an archived version here
- The city of Tauranga has its origins in the military township established for the 1st Waikato regiment after the battles of Gate Pa and Te Ranga.
- After the battles in 1864, most of the land purchased by the Rev Alfred Brown was taken by the government as the site for a military township. The streets were surveyed and laid out between 1865-67. The Church Missionary Society was allowed to keep one fifth of the original purchase.
- Tauranga was gazetted a borough in February 1882, with a population of about 1,250. The first Mayor was George Vesey Stewart, who had brought a party of settlers to Katikati in 1875. Stewart also owned the Bay of Plenty Times.
- When the population reached 20,000 in 1963 with the addition of Greerton to the borough, Tauranga became a city. Today the population of Tauranga city sits at more than 110,000 people.
This page was archived at perma cc April 2017 https://perma.cc/k8tf-fn88