Topic: Kulim Park (Tauranga)

Topic type:

The following information is from the Tauranga City Council and Historic Places Trust sign named 'Why Kulim?'.

Looking strange? see an archived version here

Kulim  Park  was  established  in  1950  when  Bureta  farm  was  subdivided  for  residential housing.  The  owners  of  the  farm,  W.I. Rushton  and  the  brothers  George  and  John Sickling,  gifted  about  one  hectare  at  the  northwest  corner  of  the  farm  “for  children’s recreation”. 
 
The donors named the park after Kulim Avenue, which led to the park from the east. The name  Kulim  has  its  origins  in  Malaya.  It  was  chosen  in  1941  by  Allan  Benham,  then Tauranga  County  Council  engineer,  when  he  subdivided  his  land  along  the  Otumoetai harbour  front  between  the  Waikareao  railway  bridge  and  Bureta.  He  called  the  road through  his  subdivision  after  the  town  where  his  son  Jack  and  daughter-in-law  Nancy were living – Kulim, in Malaya.
 
In 1950 Jack Benham, by then a partner of well-known Tauranga surveyor Bert Goulding, was  responsible  for  surveying  the  Bureta  farm  subdivision.  Kulim  Avenue  had  already been extended into the north-eastern part of the farm in 1947. It was continued to the park boundary as part of the subdivision. 
 
Tauranga City Council purchased adjoining land in 1986 and 1988 to extend the park to the  west.  Both  sections  had  originally  been  part  of  the  88  acre  Crown  Grant  to  the children of the early trader, sailor and boat builder John Lees Faulkner and his first wife, Ruawahine.
 
From the late 1960s Kulim Park was used for races by the Tauranga Yacht and Power Boat  Club  Incorporated.  At  first  older  teenagers  raced  their  Q,  Finn,  Idle  Along and Javelin class centreboard yachts, and later international P class regattas for juniors were held  here. The  waters  off  Kulim  Park  were  considered  safer  and  altogether  more satisfactory for youthful sailors than off the club’s headquarters near the railway bridge in downtown Tauranga. Temporary premises were used for some years, but after lengthy negotiations between the Yacht Club, Tauranga City Council and Tauranga Harbour Board an area of land was reclaimed off the eastern end of the park in 1973. In 1977 a storage shed was built for use by the club. 

In 1988 a new entrance to the park was completed by the Lions Club of Otumoetai. The carvings  were  done  by  the  Tauranga  Whanau  Kokiri  trainees.  In  accordance  with  the wishes of  the  donors, the  park  has  been  developed  for  family  recreation,  with  picnic tables and barbeques, a safe playground for young children and a petanque court.

this page was archived at perma cc February 2017 https://perma.cc/t8ef-q6k4

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Kulim Park (Tauranga)


Year:2014
Location:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.665278,176.14861099999996

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps