Native-Institute-01-140

Original Filename: Native-Institute-01-140.jpg ( not available for download )

Native-Institute-01-140.

Caption

The Native (mission)  Institute, Tauranga, erected by Revs Clarke and Baker in 1860.  It was taken over by the Imperial troops in Jan. 1864 as a commissary, and used as a hospital April to June after the battles of Gate Pa and Te Ranga.  Mission Institute completed May 1862 for Revs C.Baker and E.Clarke. Used as the first government buildings 1864 to 1874.The house in the background is High Trees, built by E. B. Baker.  This building served as the first government buildings.  Acc No 2261

 Locate this on Tauranga City Library's History Pin Channel by clicking here.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Native-Institute-01-140


Year:c.1864
Location where this photo was taken:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.6812272,176.16841899999997

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps