Halfway House map, Ngawaro, New Zealand (1904)
Original Filename: Ngawaro_Half_Way_House_location_from_SO13002__002_.jpg (view)
Original Size: 314.6 KB
Original Image Type: image/jpeg
Halfway House on Ngawaro Block 24A (1904). Detail extracted from LINZ South Auckland Plan SO13002. From the early 1900s the route from Tauranga to Rotorua was through Pyes Pa Road where previously it had been through Oropi Gorge Road. Part way through the Mangorewa Gorge, at Ngawaro, was the Halfway House where travellers could find overnight accommodation (today the junction of Mangatoi Road and Pyes Pa Road). This was as far as the Tauranga driver went, and here the horses were rested before returning to Tauranga. The Rotorua carriage driver did a trip from Rotorua to the Halfway House and back to his starting point. In those days the road was quite treacherous and frequently closed in the winter months. For more information see 'Highways and Byways of Western Bay of Plenty' by Neil G Hansen. Image courtesy of Colin Adams (2017).