Tauranga Town Hall Leadlight Windows (1915)
Original Filename: Tauranga_Town_Hall_Leadlight_Windows__2_.JPG (view)
Original Size: 4.5 MB
Original Image Type: image/jpeg
According to the Bay of Plenty Times (29 June 1915, p 4), the instructions for seven leadlight windows for the new Tauranga Town Hall were received on 16 February 1915 and the materials were ordered the same day, but they didn’t arrive until the 16th and 27th of April. Demolition of the Town Hall was carried out over three days from 22 to 24 September 1987. In 1989 designer and leadlighter Paula Dennison created a modern surround to complement two stained glass leadlight windows salvaged from the Tauranga Town Hall. This work can be found above the entrance to the Civic Arcade on Willow Street in Tauranga. Photograph: Debbie McCauley.