Archdeacon Alfred Nesbit Brown (c1860)

Original Filename: A_Brown.jpg (view)

Original Size: 24.8 KB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

Archdeacon Alfred Nesbit Brown (c1860).

Caption

Black and white photograph of Archdeacon Alfred Nesbit Brown sitting at a table with a book. Alfred Nesbit Brown served as a Church Missionary Society (CMS) missionary in New Zealand from 1829 to 1884. He spent much of his time at the Te Papa Mission Station in Tauranga where the Brown family took up residence in January 1838. Bishop George Augustus Selwyn granted Brown his licence as minister of the Tauranga district on 19 December 1842 and appointed him the first archdeacon of Tauranga on 31 December 1843. He was installed in September 1844. His missionary work was affected when the New Zealand Wars spread to Tauranga in 1864. The government confiscated land in the western Bay of Plenty and made it available to military settlers, displacing Maori from their whenua, and Brown’s mission work came to an end. He and his wife purchased 17 acres from the CMS in 1873, renaming the property “The Elms”. Brown died in Tauranga in 1884 and was buried in the Mission Cemetery. The historic Elms Mission House is the oldest European heritage site in the Bay of Plenty. Tauranga City Libraries Image Number: 00-160.

To read more, click here: http://tauranga.kete.net.nz/battles_of_gate_pa_and_te_ranga_1864/topics/show/927-alfred-nesbit-brown-1803-1884

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion