Tauranga Library Leadlight Windows (1930)
Original Filename: Tauranga_Library_Art_Deco_Leadlight_Windows__1_.JPG (view)
Original Size: 6.1 MB
Original Image Type: image/jpeg
On 3 December 1930 a new Art Deco style Tauranga library building was opened by mayoress Mrs B. C. Robbins, designed by Mr F. N. Hornibrook and built by C.F.J. Biggs. It also housed the Borough Electricity Department. The Bay of Plenty Times reported that, "A striking feature of the whole of the building is the beauty that has been introduced by the use of lead lights."In August 1988 demolition of the old library began. Three stained glass leadlight windows salvaged from the 1930s Art Deco library building were installed in the stairwell to the first floor of the new library building which opened on 8 May 1989. Photograph: Debbie McCauley.