Topic: Talisman Hotel (Katikati) by Ellen McCormack

Topic type:

This piece on the history of the Talisman Hotel in Katikati was written by Katikati historian Ellen McCormack in 2012.

Looking strange? see an archived version here

The Talisman Hotel originally called the Uretara Hotel then named the Katikati Hotel and some years later the Talisman, has had many owners and licencee’s during the past 137 years.

Talisman Hotel, owned by Mr Shepherd (1898)

Talisman Hotel, owned by Mr Shepherd (1898)

It has been rebuilt on higher ground on the opposite side of the road after the owner’s little son was drowned in a huge flood in 1888 and rebuilt again after a devastating fire in 1929.

Talisman Hotel, 1899

Talisman Hotel (1899)

The most respected and esteemed proprietor of all those years was a man named Barney MacDonnell. Barney took over the hotel in 1880 and in a very short time he became something of a legend in the area with his advice being sought by all and sundry and his fairness in all discussions being greatly respected.   

Talisman Hotel c 1920s 06-383

Talisman Hotel (c1920s)

 This page was archvied at perma cc September 2017

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Talisman Hotel (Katikati) by Ellen McCormack