Talisman Hotel, Katikati (1899)
Original Filename: Talisman_Hotel__1899.jpg (view)
Original Size: 124.3 KB
Original Image Type: image/pjpeg
The original hotel at Katikati was owned by Bernard MacDonnell, but when his youngest son Robert was drowned in the Uretara Stream in 1887, it was decided to build a new hotel on higher ground and the old building was used as a store. The hotel was completed by November 1888 and officially opened in April 1889. Barney retired to Tauranga in June 1896. Alfred Shepherd took over the hotel, renaming it the 'Talisman'. This building burnt down on 15 March 1926.
Emily Surtees Photographic Collection. Photographer: Emily Surtees (nee Stewart) (eldest child of George Vesey and Margaret Stewart). Courtesy of Elizabeth Smith and Ellen McCormack. Tauranga City Libraries Image Number: 16-089. (Ref: Page 3, 001).