High Trees: Tauranga residence of Henry Harpur Greer

Original Filename: High_Trees__Tauranga_.jpg (view)

Original Size: 148 KB

Original Image Type: image/pjpeg

High Trees: Tauranga residence of Henry Harpur Greer.

Caption

The Greer family arrived in Tauranga on 10 March 1864. They made their home in one of Tauranga’s earliest houses 'High Trees'. It was in the grounds of the Greer family home 'High Trees' that the surrender of arms by Māori took place on 25 July 1864. The house was close to Durham Redoubt. It was originally built near the Mission Institute by Revs Charles Baker (1803-1875) and Edward Blomfield Clarke (1831-1900), who were in charge of the educational establishment. Later it was occupied by businessman E.T.Baker, and then the Patterson family who owned a farm on Motiti island. 'High Trees' was eventually demolished to make way for the car park for the Commercial Travellers club which was later demolished for the Kingsview high rise apartment complex. Photograph: Tauranga City Libraries.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

High Trees: Tauranga residence of Henry Harpur Greer


City:Tauranga, New Zealand
Year:c.1864
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License
High Trees: Tauranga residence of Henry Harpur Greer by Debbie McCauley (Tauranga City Libraries) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License