Tauranga Primary School by Anne Hyde

Original Filename: Kokiri_sketch.png (view)

Original Size: 107.7 KB

Original Image Type: image/png

Tauranga Primary School by Anne Hyde.

Caption

The pen and ink sketch is by Anne Hyde. A second school in early Tauranga was built at the Harington Street and Cameron Road corner by 1886. By 1896 the number 1 and 2 schools amalgamated and in 1898 the building was moved to the main school site at 'Quarter Acres' which was bounded by St. John's Street, Tenth Avenue and Edgecumbe Road. In 1904 the building was moved again to 'a central site where Tauranga Primary School is today at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Cameron Road' ... 'In the days of these remarkable removals, Cameron Road was shell-paved and hilly. Bullock teams took weeks to move the tall buildings intact on huge drays with wooden wheels and axles' ... 'The school building finally located at Fifth Avenue was immensely high-gabled and originally a rectangular structure to which an identical parallel wing was added then a third wing' (Bellamy, 1982, p. 135). 'The building was demolished in 1978, the timber and joinery being given to Tauranga District Museum' (Bellamy, 1982, pp. 136-137). 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tauranga Primary School by Anne Hyde


First Names:Anne
Last Name:Hyde
City:Tauranga
Year:c.1978
Location where this photo was taken:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.6926605,176.1645926

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps