Topic: About Greerton Village

Topic type:

Tauranga's Greerton region - Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow. The expanding heart of Tauranga South.

As the City sprawls southward, the significance of Greerton Village grows. Ngai Tamarawaho Pa Tutarawanaga, one of the first schools of learning in Tauranga was established 500 years ago on the banks of the Waimapu River in the area known as Yatton Park. The BOP Polytech in Poike is now sited on the opposite bank.

In 1864 the Battle of Gate Pa (Pukehinahina), an important event in the history of New Zealand, was fought on the northern flanks of Greerton.

The racecourse reserve was gazetted in 1878, 14 years after the Battle of Gate Pa, and is Tauranga's most significant reserve. It is now a popular green space enjoyed especially by horse riders and golfers.

As the City marches southwards, Greerton is on the crest of an exciting wave of expansion. A new library and community centre was built on the northern side of the Village Green in 2016. This compliments the village style shopping of the area, creating a delightful pedestrian village centre. Continued investment and the new smart living places strategy add real power behind the growth.

The heart of Greerton is the Village Green located opposite the 130 year old Greerton School, with its native trees that enhance the exotic trees planted in Chadwick Road.

Greerton both old and new is on the edge of an exciting and prosperous future.

Article by Terry Molloy, Longtime Greerton Stalwart

Greerton Village Tauranga ©2011 (updated 2016)

Discuss This Topic

There are 2 comments in this discussion.

Read and join this discussion

join this discussion