The Te Arawa canoe under chief Tamatekapua is said to have landed at Maketu from Hawaiki in c1350. The name Te Puke comes from Hei on the Arawa Waka – he called a hill he could see from the ocean Te Puke-O-Tawa – the hill of Tawa - after his wife (the hill is now called Otawa). Hei’s people known as Waitaha had a marae on what is now No 1 Road called Te Puke (now Otaraninia urupa) – it was in the corner of the block drawn up by the surveyors which became known as the Te Puke block

James Cook is the first documented European to visit the area, sailing between Motiti Island and the coast in 1769. In 1830 Danish sailor Philip Tapsell settled at Maketu and operated as a trader. 

In 1876 surveying of the Te Puke Block started, being completed in 1879. The Tauranga Working Men’s Land Association was formed in 1877 and members petitioned the government for 4000 acres at Te Puke. At the same time Katikati founder, George Vesey Stewart, applied to the government to bring settlers to Te Puke. In 1879 the first Te Puke settlers arrived. Included were Peter Grant and his wife Caroline (nee Moon), William Bird and his wife Sarah (nee Leitch), and Joseph Malyon and his wife Sara (nee James). The Te Puke settlers organised by George Vesey Stewart arrived in New Zealand from London aboard the Lady Jocelyn on 2 January 1881. However the Malyon family had arrived earlier in 1878 with George Vesey Stewart and lived for a time at Katikati.

Te Puke History


City:Te Puke
Location:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.7861649,176.3254445

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps

Featured Image

Te Puke Post Office (1965).

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.

Latest 10 topics

History of Te Puke Cemetery by D M Mutton with acknowledgement to Papers Past, National Library of New Zealand (July
Hera's Memorial (Te Puke).
This article about Hera's Memorial is Te Puke is by Christine Clement. In 1921 Hera’s memorial was unveiled at the
Robert Croxton (c1853-1942).
Robert (Bob) Croxton was an old swagman that used to hang around Te Puke and was a great friend of
Te Puke Railway Station (c1925).
A small envelop of historical images of Te Puke taken in the 1920s or 1930s.These were originally printed in Great
Ellen McCormack and Christine Clement cutting the book launch cake (2013) .
Te Puke identity and family historian-genealogist Christine Clement is the author of eleven books covering topics such as Bay of
The 1918 Inflenza Pandemic (Spanish 'flu) was to leave it's mark on Te Puke. Victim's of the pandemic include the
Jubilee Park Plan (c1940) .
This article on the history of Te Puke's Jubilee Park / Jamieson Oval is by local historian and author, Christine
This article on how Colin McCahon left his mark on Te Puke was written by local historian and author, Christine
Montgomery family outside the Te Puke Hotel (c1910).
This article on the history of the Te Puke Hotel was written by local historian and author, Christine Clement.
Capitol Theatre, Te Puke (2010).
This article by local historian and author, Christine Clement, appeared in the 'Focus Te Puke News Update' on 15 January