Edwin James (Ted) Sherlock (Service record 12/458)

Original Filename: Edwin_James_Sherlock_12_458.jpg (view)

Original Size: 406.1 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Edwin James (Ted) Sherlock (Service record 12/458).


Edwin James (Ted) Sherlock (Service record 12/458) was bom at Thames,  New Zealand on 27 March 1893. He was the eldest son of Alfred and Mary (Minnie) Sherlock, at that time of Bowen street Parawai, Thames. Ted and his younger brother, Alfred Charles Sherlock 34447 (Alf, born 4 November 1896) joined the 6th Hauraki Battalion to go and do their “bit” for the Empire, Ted who had previously served with the territorial Hauraki rifles, initially enlisted on 11 August 1914, with Major Frederick Stuckey taking Ted’s attestation at Epsom Camp on 18 September 1914.

As described to his sister Nell in this letter, Ted’s first action in World War I was the landing of the Australian and New Zealand troops at Anzac Cove, Gallipoli, on the morning of 25 April 1915. He received a gunshot wound to the right thigh during this battle and hospitalised in Egypt to recover. He rejoined the Auckland Battalion and embarked for France on the ‘Tunisian’ on 10 July 1916, and next saw action on the Western Front, with the New Zealand Division joining the Battle of the Somme in September 1916 as part of the second big push of the offensive. Ted was badly wounded in the left hip during the battle on 27/28 September 1916, spending three days in a shell-hole before being picked up by some Canadian stretcher-bearers and taken to a dressing station at Camiers near Etaples on 30 September 1916. This was the end of Ted’s war, he transferred to London on a hospital ship and there spent many, many months convalescing from osteomyelitis, a compound fracture of the femur and a paralysed sciatic nerve, all resulting from the Somme injury. Classified as unfit by the Medical Board on 7 July 1917, he was eventually removed from the strength of the NZ Roll on 9 October as no longer physically fit for war service on account of the wounds he had received in action. Ted embarked for New Zealand on the troopship “Marama” which left Avonmouth in the Bristol channel on 14 July 1917, arriving in Wellington on 22 August 1917.

Ted married Florence Edna Moorman (Dot), a workmate of his sister Nell on 28 September 1921. They settled in Westmere in Auckland and raised three children, Bettina, Bruce and Maxwell. Ted was a boot maker by occupation and was a leader in the Boys Brigade Association in Auckland. Throughout his life, he suffered from recurring problems with the hip would sustained during the Battle of the Somme, causing him great pain and discomfort.

Ted died on the 13th of May 1961 – nine days after the birth of his youngest grandchild, and 46 years after writing this letter. He was survived by Dot, his three children and eleven grandchildren and is affectionately referred to in the family as ‘pop’.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion


Edwin James (Ted) Sherlock (Service record 12/458)

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License
Edwin James (Ted) Sherlock (Service record 12/458) by Tauranga City Libraries Staff - HC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License