Topic: Eden Cottage (Katikati)
John Alexander McKinney and family arrived in New Zealand on the Lady Jocelyn in 1878 as part of George Vesey Stewart's 'Ulster Plantation'. They settled in Katikati on Block 8, Lot 37. Once they had built their new home they called it 'Eden Cottage'.
John Alexander McKinney paid George Vesey Stewart a deposit of £50 in December 1877 for land at Katikati.
The McKinney family arrived in New Zealand in 1878. Their allocation of land was 250 acres (Block VIII Lot 37). According to Christine Clement and Ellen McCormack this would have been 'on the north side of the top end of what is now Busby Road, Katikati'.
On 26 June 1879 the Crown Lands Ranger noted that the dwelling was 'a lean to 20ft x 12ft with a front wall 9ft, weatherboard and shingle roof of two rooms'. The dwelling had been extended by the time he visited again in 1880 and was valued at £200.
In 1885 the McKinney family left Katikati for Matawhero.
The Bay of Plenty Times advertised the land and 'good dwelling house' for let on 19 January 1886.
On the 1893 Electoral Roll John was still listed as a land owner at Katikati.
Bay of Plenty Times (19 January 1886).
Graham McKinney (great great grandson of John Alexander McKinney).
The Pioneers, Settlers and Families of Katikati and District (2012) by Christine Clement and Ellen McCormack (pp. 217-218).