Talisman Hotel, owned by Alfred Shepherd (1898)
Original Filename: Talisman_Hotel_owned_by_Mr_Shephard__1898.jpg (view)
Original Size: 119.2 KB
Original Image Type: image/pjpeg
The hotel at Katikati was originally called the Uretara Hotel then the Katikati Hotel. When Alfred Shepherd took over in September of 1896 he changed the name to the Talisman Hotel.
Alfred Shepherd was born in Yorkshire in 1847, arriving in New Zealand in 1868. After spending time on the West Coast gold diggings he returned to England and then came back to New Zealand to the Thames Gold Fields. He married Mary Christie in Thames where he worked as a gold miner. He made good money from the Talisman claim in Karangahake and bought the Katikati Hotel, renaming it the Talisman Hotel in September 1896. He operated the 17 room hotel until 1901 when it was sold to Robert Knox.
The family then farmed 'North Park' which adjoined the old Katikati No 3 School. Their house was built by W. J. Gray. Alfred was never the same after an accident in 1888 where he sustained spinal and head injuries. He disappeared in 1906.
Emily Surtees Photographic Collection. Photographer: Emily Surtees (nee Stewart) (eldest child of George Vesey and Margaret Stewart). Courtesy of Elizabeth Smith and Ellen McCormack. Tauranga City Libraries Image Number: 16-088. (Ref: Page 2, 003).