The Katikati Heritage Museum was established in 2000 by Ken and Nancy Merriman, who bought the contents of a private museum to prevent them being lost to the community.  From then both the museum and its collection grew as local families contribute their stories, documents, diaries and memorabilia.  To ensure the preservation of the museum for future generations, it was bought from the Merrimans by the Katikati Heritage Museum Charitable Trust in April 2012 but later closed. On August 27, 2016 the Western Bay Museum was launched.  

Katikati Heritage Museum was a community-owned venture staffed by volunteers and run by a trust board of local people.  The museum was managed  by the Katikati Heritage Museum Society Inc. with the help of a paid, full-time manager on behalf of the people of the Katikati area.

The collection was dedicated to the history of the founding of  Katikati by George Vesey Stewart as the only planned settlement from Northern Ireland in the world. It documented the voyages the settlers took to New Zealand in the Carisbrooke Castle and the Lady Jocelyn, and the subsequent development of the district in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.  The following pages bought the  backgrounds of some of the items in the collections and stories about noted residents and special events.

The collection is now part of the Western Bay Museum, http://westernbaymuseum.nz

Latest 5 topics

Old Katikati Jail (2014).
Construction of the Katikati Police Station and Jail was authorised on 5 February 1880 and completed in early July of
Sid Taylor's violin.
The Katikati Museum holds three violins previously owned Sid and Ivy Taylor who farmed in Katikati for many years. One
Katikati's first piano.
Pianos were treasured possessions in early Katikati as they provided much needed entertainment for the settlers. The first piano in
 Label of TANZA record T5 .
One of the delights of delving into the past is the discovery of hitherto unknown and unexpected connections. This is
Samuel Middlebrook.
Sam Middlebrook had a long association with Katikati. When Vesey Stewart came to Tauranga in 1874 to look for land,