Katikati Number 1 School in 1908

Original Filename: Photo_from_T._Sayer__1977_._Katikati_schools_centennial_reunion_1877-1977..png (view)

Original Size: 110.7 KB

Original Image Type: image/png

Katikati Number 1 School in 1908.

Caption

A new No. 1 School was built it was on the corner of Fraser's Point Road and the main road in 1900. In February 1900: 'Tenders were called for the new school on the site to be given by Mr W. Johnston and situated near the Tuapiro River' ... In November 1900: 'The new school opened in November' (Jordan, 1979, p. 14). In May 1929: 'The opening of the railway in 1928 provided a means of transporting the pupils to Katikati and No 1 closed in May 1929' (Jordan, 1979, p. 16). 'The Number 1 school register of 1898-1929 concludes with the entry "School Closed, May, 1929" (Sayer, 1977, p. 6). This building was moved to the Tauranga Historic Village and has since been moved to the Tauranga Waldorf School in Welcome Bay. Photo from T. Sayer (1977). Katikati schools centennial reunion 1877-1977.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Katikati Number 1 School in 1908


City:Tauranga
Year:1908
Location where this photo was taken:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.5023374,175.94402079999998

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps