There are many historic places in Tauranga, and a few historic buildings that have survived the drive for progress. 

One such place is the 1847 Georgian-style Elms Historic House standing on the oldest European heritage site in the Bay of Plenty. The Church Missionary Society's Te Papa Mission Station was an important part of Tauranga's history and was established by Archdeacon Alfred Brown in 1838. Also on the site is New Zealand’s first library, and the oldest library standing today, completed in 1839.

Other such heritage sites include an archaeological site in Masonic Park, and Wharf Street in Tauranga.

Tauranga Historic Buildings & Places


Location:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.68779749999999,176.16512950000003

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps

Featured Image

Brain Watkins House Open Day (2016).

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.

Latest 23 topics

John Chidley Reynolds died of pneumonia on 24 March 1876 in Ohinemutu. His body was moved to Tauranga and he
Albert Laidley was involved in an accident on Tauranga harbour in 1872 when the yacht 'Sappho' overturned and he was
John Ferraby died in Tauranga in 1872. A coroner's inquest found that he "died by exhaustion through excessive drinking". He
Robert Bruton Atkinson died in Tauranga in 1872. A coroner's inquest found that he "died by the visitation of God".
Brain Watkins House Open Day (2016).
On Sunday 2 October free guided tours were given of the Brain Watkins House at 233 Cameron Road (corner Elizabeth
Mission Cemetery Tour by Stephanie Smith (2016).
As part of Local History Week and the 40th Anniversary of Nga Wahi Rangahau Research Collections, archivist Stephanie Smith gave
Headstone of Peter Grant (1845-1924).
All the soldiers and sailors who died at the battles of Gate Pā and Te Ranga were buried in the
Wharf Street Scene, Tauranga (2015).
Tauranga's Wharf Street was established in 1875. In 2015 the street underwent a major revamp into a dining precinct. Over
Masonic Park Archaeological Site, Tauranga (2015).
On 5 July 2015 the archaeological site in Masonic Park in Tauranga was photographed by Debbie McCauley.
Tauranga Rudolf Steiner School Library: Harry Potter (2007).
In 1989 sixteen acres of land in an area of Welcome Bay, Tauranga, in the area known as Maungarangi or
Tauranga School Being Moved by Bullocks (1904).
Kōkiri (Meaning in Māori: empowerment through knowledge and education), is the name of the building purchased by the Tauranga Waldorf
Tauranga Waldorf School (c2001).
'The Wanderings of Ngaiterangi' is a retelling of the Ngaiterangi legends associated with the land that the Tauranga Waldorf School
Tauranga Waldorf School: Ngongotaha Building (2008).
A Ngongotaha house mover's yard provided another classroom to the Tauranga Waldorf School.
Tauranga Waldorf School: Pentagon Classroom Block (2008).
An anthroposophically designed classroom at the Tauranga Waldorf School opened in 2000.
Tauranga Waldorf School: The Cowshed (2007).
The Cowshed is the iconic building of the Tauranga Waldorf School, being the only building on the property when it
Tauranga Waldorf School: Te Puke Telecom Building (2008).
A building purchased from Te Puke Telecom by the Tauranga Waldorf School has been put to many uses over the
Tauranga Waldorf School: Rose Red Building (2008).
Two kindergarten buildings on the Tauranga Waldorf School site are named after characters from a fairytale by Jacob and Wilhelm
Tauranga Waldorf School: Rose Ring Building (2008).
A building on loan from the Ministry of Education was one of the first to be purchased by the Tauranga
Tauranga Waldorf School: Crafty Pukeko Building (2008).
A small cottage on site at the Tauranga Waldorf School houses the school shop.
Tauranga Waldorf School: Whakatane Hotel Accommodation (2008).
The Whakatane Hotel Accommodation building, dating from 1920, was moved onto it's new site at the Tauranga Waldorf School in
Tauranga Waldorf School: The Kauri Classrooms (2008).
The Kauri Classrooms were constructed in 1916 and, in 2001 were moved to the site of the Tauranga Waldorf School
Katikati Number 1 School in 1908.
Tuapiro Point is a small sand-spit opposite the northern entrance to Tauranga Harbour. The end of the sand-spit provides a
Tauranga School Being Moved by Bullocks (1904).
Kōkiri (Meaning in Māori: empowerment through knowledge and education), is the name of the building purchased by the Tauranga Waldorf