Topic: Te Ranga Pou Installation (20 June 2014) by Debbie McCauley

Topic type:

On 20 June 2014 two pou were erected on the site of the Battle of Te Ranga on Pyes Pa Road. They were unveiled at 7am the following day, the morning of the 150th commemoration of the Battle of Te Ranga. Photos: Debbie McCauley.

PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The first pouwhenua is 'Te Pou Iroiro o Te Mamae. O Te Ranga' symbolising the hurt, pain, suffering and anguish that resulted from the battle and still affect iwi. The main carver was James Tapiata.

Te Ranga Pou Installation (20 June 2014) by Debbie McCauley  SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

The second pouwhenua is 'Te Rere o Te toto. O Ngati. Matepu'. Part of the pou was hollowed out as a waka moe in which was placed a small memorial to the 130 who were burried in the trenches they dug when preparing to fight the British. The next figure represents those who escaped, and the third figure at the top represents those who fought in the Tauranga Bush Campaign of 1867. The main carver was Whare Thompson.

Te Ranga Pou Installation (20 June 2014) by Debbie McCauley

 

Sources:

Peri Kohu

James Tapiata

Whare Thompson

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Te Ranga Pou Installation (20 June 2014) by Debbie McCauley


Year:2014