Topic: Timeline: Gate Pā Battle Site

Topic type:

This history of the Gate Pā Battle site was created as Appendix 1 to the paper "Identity and the Battle of Gate Pā (Pukehinahina), 29 April 1864" written by Debbie McCauley on 5 August 2011 as part of a BA in Humanities and Information & Library Studies.

  • 1864: Battle of Gate Pā (29 April). Māori dead buried on the western slopes below where the bowling green is now situated.
  • 1864-1870: Garrisoned by 68th Durham Light Infantry.
  • 1877: Pā derelict. Earthworks filled in, highway cut through site.
  • 1880: Domain gazetted east of main highway.
  • 1884: Gate Pā Domain Board established. Land exchanged or gifted to Anglican Church.
  • 1900: St George Church built.
  • 1953: Domain land on the Western side of Cameron Road made available for Gate Pā Tennis Club and a Bowling Club.
  • 1964: 100 year centennial celebrations, memorial unveiled.
  • 1974: Gate Pā Domain Board disestablished. Tauranga City Council takes over.
  • 1986: St George Church damaged by fire.
  • 1992: St George Church burnt down. New church built.
  • 2007: Carved tomokanga (a welcome to all people onto a sacred site) added to domain on eastern side of Cameron Road. 
  • 2008: Gate Pā recorded as an archaeological site.
  • 2010: Historical signs erected.
  • 2012: Pukehinahina Charitable Trust created to plan the 150th commemoration of the battle in 2014.


Identity and the Battle of Gate Pa (Pukehinahina), 29 April 1864 (5 August 2011) by Debbie McCauley (Tauranga Memories: Battle of Gate Pa, 1864 kete).


This page archived at Perma CC in March of 2017:

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion