Topic: Military Hospital for wounded English after the battles of Gate Pa and Te Ranga (1864)

Topic type:

For a little over two months after the Battle of Gate Pa, wounded were bought down to what had been an institute for local Maori set up by missionaries Reverends C. Baker and E.B. Clarke.

The Native (mission) Institute had been built just four years prior to the Battle of Gate Pa.   It was taken over by the Imperial troops in January 1864 as a commissary, and used as a hospital from late April to June after the battles of Gate Pa and Te Ranga. Today it would be located at the corners of Willow street and Harington street where the old Post Office is.

Military-hospital-03-309

A small photograph about the size of a modern business card that was created using a technology invented in Europe 1854 just a decade before the Battle of Gate Pa. This was taken by an H Webster of Auckland and donated to the City Libraries in 2003.

 

The building became the first government buildings from 1864 to 1874. A second image of the same building taken at a different angle shows High Trees, built by E. B. Baker for Colonel Greer. 

Native-Institute-01-140

 Locate this on Tauranga City Library's History Pin Channel by clicking here.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Military Hospital for wounded English after the battles of Gate Pa and Te Ranga (1864)


Year:c.1864
City:Tauranga
Location:


Latitude and Longitude coordinates: -37.6814546,176.16828299999997

javascript needs to be on to use Google Maps
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License
Military Hospital for wounded English after the battles of Gate Pa and Te Ranga (1864) by Tauranga City Libraries Staff - HC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License