Topic: Te Ranga Battle Site (Tauranga)

Topic type:

A sign beside the road to Rotorua, about four kilometres from the Barkes Corner roundabout at Tauranga, marks the entrance to the Te Ranga Battle Site on Pyes Pa Road. In June 1864 soldiers on patrol encountered several hundred Māori fortifying a position south of Gate Pā Pukehinahina. Reinforcements were called for and an engagement took place at Te Ranga. Although Māori fought bravely the result was a victory for the British troops. Māori defeat at Te Ranga led to the confiscation of land in the western Bay of Plenty.

  • The battle at Te Ranga on the 21st of June 1864 was a resounding British victory.
  • Maori leaders Rawiri Puhirake and Hēnare Taratoa both fell at Te Ranga. 108 Maori were killed, and 43 were taken prisoner, most of whom were wounded. Many who were killed now lie in the Mission Cemetery. Others were buried where they fell.
  • James Belich, New Zealand historian, believes that Ngāi Te Rangi and their allies chose to stay and fight when escape was possible because they hoped that reinforcements would arrive. Fresh warriors did finally arrive, but by then their comrades had been forced to withdraw.
  • A large number of Ngai Te Rangi surrendered their arms and lands following the defeat and those who did not surrender had their lands taken by the government. This is known as the Raupatu or Confiscation.
  • When the Deed of Settlement was signed on 21 June 2012, an apology was made on behalf of the government by Chris Finlayson, Minister of Maori Affairs, to Ngati Ranginui. He said “The Crown unreservedly apologises for not having honoured its obligations to the hapu of Ngati Ranginui under the Treaty of Waitangi.”

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Te Ranga Battle Site (Tauranga)


Year:2014
City:Tauranga, New Zealand